The Austrian Children’s Cancer Aid (ÖKKH)
Every year, more than 350 children and adolescents in Austria are diagnosed with cancer. Although eight out of ten children are cured thanks to state-of-the-art medical care, the disease leaves deep scars not only on those affected but also on their family members.
The Austrian Children’s Cancer Aid was founded in 1988, operates throughout Austria and is an independent, non-profit association that is financed by donations and has been awarded the Austrian seal of approval for donations. We are a member of the international children’s cancer aid organisation CCI (Childhood Cancer International).
The Austrian Children’s Cancer Aid is the association of the six regional children’s cancer aid organisations for:
- Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland
- Tyrol and Vorarlberg
- Upper Austria
The six regional associations primarily provide direct assistance to families who are in financial difficulties due to their child’s illness and finance equipment suitable for children on the oncology wards.
The Mission of the Austrian Children’s Cancer Aid
Our mission is to support families of children with cancer and stand by them during what is probably their most difficult time. We provide comprehensive support and care to ensure that the families‘ needs are met. Our aim is to improve the lives of children and their families.
The area of responsibility of the Austrian Children’s Cancer Aid
- Information and counselling for affected families
- Raising public awareness of the taboo subject of cancer in children and adolescents
- Psychosocial aftercare of children and adolescents with cancer as well as their parents and siblings
- Support of research activities: Funding of documentation assistants and annual awarding of the science prize for work in the field of paediatric oncology